Monday, May 01, 2006

One Way

One Way, Jesus, you're the only one that I could live for.
One Way, Jesus, you're the only one that I could live for.
You are the way, the truth and the life
We live by faith and not by sight, for you
We're living all for you.
You are the way, the truth and the life
We live by faith and not by sight, for you
We're living all for you.
One Way, Jesus, you're the only one that I could live for.
One Way, Jesus, you're the only one that I could live for.

This is the song that's on my heart right now. There is only one way to Heaven, and that's through Jesus Christ, God's one and only Son. I was reading in the book of John in the Bible and here's what I found:

"Don't be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me. There are many rooms in my Father's home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly. When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will be with me where I am. And you know where I am going and how to get there." v. 5 "No, we don't know, Lord," Thomas said. "We haven't any idea where you are going so how can we know the way?" Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had known who I am, then you would have known who my Father is....Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father...I am in the Father and the Father is in me. The words I say are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me....anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done...If you love me, obey my commandments."

What a powerful passage of scripture. Jesus says it so plainly here. He was talking to His disciples just before He was crucified. Even His closest friends doubted Him at times and didn't understand what Jesus was trying to say, but they eventually got it. That reminded me of myself. Sometimes it takes me a long time to get it and I doubt too much at first. At times I have thought, "Could there be another way to heaven?" But then I just have to read a verse like this in God's Word and then I know what the truth is. The Bible is filled with truth and the more I search it and read it, the more truth I find. Jesus didn't tell me in there that there are many ways to God, He said there is ONE WAY and that is through Him. That is such a blessing because then I know I don't have to wander aimlessly around this world trying to prove something that's wrong.

Another passage of scripture that I came across this past week that really spoke to me and reminded me of what is important is Psalm 39:4-8a. Here's what it says in the New Living Translation:

"Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth with be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to you; human existence is but a breath." We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth for someone else to spend. And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you. Rescue me from my rebellion."

What an incredible reminder for me as to where I stand and where I am going. A song comes to mind "This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through. My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beacon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore." That's a song I remember from when I was growing up - my mom sang it all the time. It's so true - this world is not my home. I was made for Heaven, we all were. So why do I get in the trap of living as if this world is all there is to life? I gotta stop doing that.

Where is my hope? My hope is in God, in His Son Jesus who died for my sins so that I could have eternal life. Amen. Thank you God!

No comments: